The Wheatsheaf, or as it’s better known, “The Wheaty”, has been around since 1885. With royal roots digging deep into Cedar’s soil, the Wheaty has become a staple of Victoria Island.
Our story begins with Queen Victoria hand-signing the Wheatsheaf’s liquor license in the late 1880’s. The building doubled as a stagecoach stop where travelers would buy tobacco and rest from journeys far and wide.
As time went on, through word of mouth and a growing population, the Wheatsheaf established itself as a premier feature of Cedar. Abruptly however, in 1926, a blaze leveled The Wheatsheaf. The community quickly rallied to find a solution to continue the Wheaty’s legacy. Another building was chosen as a suitable replacement and was moved to its current location. Ownership switched hands later in 1978, and shortly after the liquor store was added on to the property.